Tuesday 1 March 2011

New York cheesecake


Oh, hai. I haven’t been here in ages. I keep reminding myself, so finally here I am.
I was starting to get really bored, so I decided to post. I know I said I would be posting every week, well, it didn’t work out. It’s no that I haven’t been baking, I just wasn’t posting.
So here I am. I was baking a lot of stuff while I wasn’t here (not like I ever was, eh, 2 posts, eh, anyway.), but well I wasn’t taking photos of it. But I have some, even if very bad quality. Anyway, enough of this boring talk.

I’ll start with the thing that I was baking just the other day. Cheesecake. Now, it was my first time baking a cheesecake, my mum always baked cheesecakes. But, I decided to bake it this time. It was for my dads birthday, so maybe a bit risky, what if it wouldn’t work out?
But it did, there were tiny complications while baking, like for example the recipe says to put a baking pan under the cake pan for leakage while the cheesecake is baking, well I didn’t and it of course started to leak, and then it risen, but not just a little, a lot. It ended up looking a bit strange, but it was still very good!  The crust was nice and hard, tasted sort of caramelized. The filling was soft, creamy, not too sweet, and creamy.  I was told, that from now on, I should be the one baking cheesecakes in our family. So I guess, that is a compliment, no? Since my mother makes delicious cheesecakes too, I wouldn't be fair if I wouldn't say that is not true. . ^-^

Cheesecake
Original recipe here

Forgive my photographing skills, and that there is only one picture. We ate the cheesecake just too fast. :( 
Crust
200 grams digestive biscuits, crushed
¼ cup granulated white sugar
115grams unsalted melted butter

Filling
1kg full fat cream cheese
200grams sugar
3 table spoons all purpose flour
5 eggs
80ml heavy whipping cream
Vanilla

Garnish /optional of course, this is just what I used/
Strawberries
Strawberry sauce (puree)
For the puree you will need cold strawberries, sugar to taste, and water.  Then heat those things up for a few minutes, put it in a blender, blend it, and done! Can be served hot or cold.

First grease you pan, (Use a pan bigger then 23cm, because I used that and it was just too high), and preheat your oven to 180degress C. For the crust, combine the crushed digestives, sugar and melted butter, then press the mixture into you prepared pan, then put it in the fridge to cool.

Beat the cream cheese, sugar and flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth.  Add the eggs, one at a time beating after each addition.
Add the whipping cream, vanilla and beat until incorporated. Take the pan out of the  fridge, pour the filling in, and bake for about 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 120 degrees C and bake until the sides are firm, but the middle is still soft to touch.

It might rise btw, but that doesn’t matter, it will go down again, but it will still have a weird shape.
Oh, and don’t forget to put  the baking pan  on a larger one. It will leak.

Leave to cool, if you’re going to eat it the next day (which is better, the cheesecake tastes better just remember to cover it with something.), then put the strawberries on the top, cut your self a slice, pour the puree over it, and enjoy that beautiful creamy deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment